Marriage in Thailand

Marriage in Thailand

Registration of marriage in Thailand can only be done at a District Office (“amphur”), which is similar to a town hall in Denmark. Please note that a marriage ceremony performed in a church, or in a mosque, or a ceremony at home with monks attending the wedding is not legally binding in Thailand – and therefore not legally binding in Denmark either.

In order for a Danish citizen to register marriage in Thailand, the Thai authorities request that the Danish Embassy issue a letter in English and Thai, which confirms the Danish national’s name, nationality, passport number, issuing passport authority, address in Denmark, employer, position, and salary. Furthermore, names and year and date of birth of children under 18 from previous relationships, and finally, names and addresses of 2 contact persons (references) in Denmark, who are not family, should also be included in the Embassy’s certificate.

The Embassy would like to stress that it is not necessary to hire a Thai agency or lawyer in order to get married in Thailand.

When you return to Denmark after having registered your marriage in Thailand, you should inform the municipality where you live (Folkeregisteret) about your marriage.

1. If you wish to marry in Thailand you should therefore:

  1. Complete the “Information sheet for registration of marriage in Thailand” (in Danish). Click here. Save and print the form.
  2. In order that the Embassy’s certificate in English and Thai may be ready and waiting for you, when you arrive in Thailand, we recommend that you send a copy of the completed information sheet together with copies of the following documents beforehand. It must be send by either post or e-boks (not e-mail):
  • Passport.
  • Salary statement (the latest) or similar documentation of your income, for instance your pension statement or your yearly salary statement from the Danish tax authorities (årsopgørelse).
  • Certificate of Marital Status “Ægteskabsattest” (Certificate of Residence “bopælsattest” cannot be used) issued by your Danish municipality, if both you and your future spouse are Danish citizens or hold permanent residence permits to Denmark. If either you or your future spouse are not Danish citizens or hold permanent residence permits to Denmark, you need to apply for the Certificate of Marital Status at the Agency of Family Law. Please note that the certificate is valid for four months.
  • Copy of your boy-/girlfirend’s ID-card or passport.

Kindly note, that you must bring and show the original documents when you come to the Embassy to pick up your certificate for registration of marriage in Thailand.

If you prefer to have the certificate sent to you by postal mail or picked up by a messenger, (who will need a power of attorney from you), this is possible, but we will still need to see the original documents.

Under normal circumstances, it takes 14 working days for the Embassy to issue a certificate for registration of marriage in Thailand.

You will be charged a fee for the Embassy’s assistance (See: “Fees“). Normally we require cash payment when the certificate is picked up. In cases where we are requested to send the certificate, we will enclose an invoice.

2. You should bring the certificate to the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs to be verified as a true document issued by the Royal Danish Embassy.

The address of the Ministry is:

Legalisation Division
Department of Consular Affairs

Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Chaeng Wattana Road
(close to the Communications Authority of Thailand)
Tel.: (+66) 02 981 7171
Fax: (+66) 02 575 1054

It usually takes a couple of days for the Ministry to verify a document. Please note that the Ministry will charge you a fee.

The Danish Embassy cannot assist you in having the certificate verified by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

It is possible for foreigners to forward documents for legalization by mail directly to the Royal Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Legalisation Division, cf. the following link.

3. When the certificate has been verified, you may register marriage at any District Office (amphur). The Embassy usually recommends that you register marriage in Bangkok*, or in another larger city, as the district offices in the cities are more familiar with the embassies’ certificates. You do not need to make an appointment in advance with the District Office.

The amphur will charge you a small fee for the registration of marriage. Please note that you might also have to pay a small fee to the two marriage witnesses, if they are provided by the amphur.

4. After your marriage you may inform the Danish authorities (Folkeregisteret) of your changed civil status. For that purpose you need to have your marriage certificate translated to English by a translation agency and then legalised by the Embassy.

* The district offices closest to the Embassy are:

Yannawa District Office
209/1 Naradhiwat Ratchanakharin 28 Road
(behind TESCO Lotus)
Chongnonsi Sub-district, Yannawa District
Bangkok 10120
Tel.: (+66) 02 681 5482

Bangrak District
(opposite Bangrak police station)
5 Naret Road
Si Praya Sub-district, Bangrak District
Bangkok 10500
Tel.: (+66) 02 236 1399

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

About Onputtha